Archbishop Mihayo University College of Tabora (AMUCTA), a Constituent College of St Augustine University of Tanzania (SAUT), officially opened on 5th November 2010The intention for launching the University College was in line with the goal of the Catholic Bishops of Tanzania to ensure that we have a training that would impart academic and professional skills and infuse values of civic and social learning to our students.
AMUCTA, therefore, adheres to SAUT vision of holistic development of a person and respect for human dignity. In recognition of this vision, AMUCTA continues to uphold the SAUT motto of “Building the City of God” and cherish our own motto “Seeking Wisdom in Truth”.
In implementing its envisioned ideal, SAUT found it important to establish this University College for the purpose of shedding light and contributing to higher education. This takes cognisance of the national development vision 2025, which mainly focuses on high quality of life, peace, stability and unity, good governance, a well-educated and learning society, a competitive economy capable of producing sustainable growth and shared benefits.
The rationale of the establishment of AMUCTA in Tabora region was to maintain the vision of the Catholic church of Tanzania to bring higher education services close to the people as it has been its tradition globally, regionally and locally. In this view, Tabora was one of the targets and hence AMUCTA was established.
The main emphasis in curriculum orientation for this University College include: secular education and training programmes, research relevant to national research agenda and consultancy and community services. In 2010/11 academic year, the University College started with Bachelor of Arts with Education and enrolled 886 students were enrolled
Our Mission strives at:
- Being a centre of excellence by providing a high quality of education, research and public service;
- Promoting the pursuit and defence of truth with transparency and honesty, and service with competence and dedication;
- Developing a sense of caring for personal and community property;
- A holistic development of the person by providing sound knowledge, higher analytical ability and commitment to generous service and respect for humankind.
- Conscious of man’s orientation towards God and neighbour and fostering an ethical and service-oriented approach in its academic and professional training, AMUCTA fulfils its goal by preparing persons well equipped to contribute to the ideals of social, economic and political development.
When the Catholic Bishops of Tanzania decided to extend the Church’s services to the provision of higher education they envisioned a training that would not only impart academic and professional skills but also that would inculcate values of civic and social learning and ethics, such as acquisition of national identity, cultural norms, political growth and responsible citizenship.
Thus the Church’s vision is the holistic development of a person and respect for human dignity.